Do you know what it takes to succeed at your police promotion oral board or assessment center?
In many cases, you have no idea what you will be asked and more importantly, you don’t know what the raters are looking for. What sounds like a perfectly good answer to you may be way off the mark. Imagine putting in tremendous time and effort only to find out that your answers and / or delivery were falling short of rater expectations.
A missed promotion opportunity can hurt you for the rest of your career.
A better Oral Board preparation method.
When I was preparing for my sergeant’s oral board I discovered a pattern to certain types of questions. I employed that pattern at my Sergeant’s Oral Board and achieved the NUMBER 1 position on my promotion list while competing against over 200 of my fellow officers. Many of those officers and detectives had more education and experience than I, but at the end of the day it was my test score that determined my position on the list.
I continued to employ and refine that process over the years and achieved the NUMBER 1 list placement on every process in which I competed: lieutenant (oral board), captain (oral board), and assistant chief (assessment center). Yes, my process works for the verbal and behavioral exercises found in assessment centers as well.
Oral Boards Made Easy™
When I retired and formed Finest’s Professional Development I took what I had developed and created the Oral Boards Made Easy™ for Police Promotion system. The system is acronym based, which is why I call it “easy”. Acronyms are easier to recall than random bullet points and paragraphs. I have identified 9 commonly asked categories of questions and developed an acronym for each. Once you learn the acronym for the corresponding category, you have a road map for a complete response to deliver to your oral panel.
Is Coaching right for you?
If you are a strong, confident presenter who is just looking to learn the Oral Boards Made Easy™ acronyms, then you may wish to attend my next workshop or sign up for the 24/7 streaming e-learning course. Both of these programs are great if you are a “do it yourselfer” with a strong delivery skill-set.
However, if what you are seeking goes beyond knowing what to say, then coaching is your solution. Coaching will give you one-to-one guidance and feedback on your answer content and delivery that you just can’t get anywhere else. This is even more valuable if you have a hard time selling yourself to others. Depending on the coaching package that you select, I will help you build a compelling response when asked “tell us about yourself”.
Keep in mind that Oral Boards Made Easy™ coaching is designed for those seeking supervisory promotions to the rank of corporal, sergeant, lieutenant, or captain. If you are seeking a higher rank than captain or its equivalent, you may be better served by my Police Chief Coach™ services.
Your coaching will be CONFIDENTIAL and EXCLUSIVE.
I will only hold one active coaching agreement per process* and I will not disclose to others that you and I are working together. You can relax and feel confident that I am working diligently to get you promoted.
Does coaching work? Here is a 10-year snapshot of our clients’ success…
Over 97% of our promotion coaching clients passed their promotion exam…
of those, nearly two-thirds have achieved their promotion….
and of those, over 50% achieved #1 on their oral board or overall list.
I will be your personal coach for this process.
And I will work tirelessly to help you receive the unprecedented results that I received in my agency of 400+ sworn. Here are my results:
-#1 on sergeant promotion list: oral board exam process. (220 Competitors)
-#1 on lieutenant promotion list: oral board exam process. (40 Competitors)
-#1 on captain promotion list: oral board exam process. (18 Competitors)
-#1 on assistant chief promotion list: assessment center process. (12 Competitors)
What my coaching clients have to say:
“I knew I wanted to advance my career and I was as good a candidate as my peers. But I realized I needed that competitive edge to lead the pack. With Bill Reilly’s help I surpassed other candidates who had outscored me in previous promotional processes. Bill taught me how to prepare mentally and academically. His guidance meant so much to me that he was one of the first people I contacted when I got the promotion.”
“In order to best present yourself, your experience, and knowledge on exam day, coaching is a tool that should not be overlooked. I have no doubt that the deciding factor in achieving my promotion to the rank of police captain was getting Bill Reilly to be my preparation coach. His experience at every level of the police rank structure as well as his professional approach to coaching was the key component in allowing me to present myself in the best possible light on exam day. Thank you Bill.”
Is your process an assessment center?
You will find that the content of the Oral Boards Made Easy™ police promotion oral board coaching program applies well for many assessment center exercises. Specifically, it provides easy to remember steps for exercises such as counseling a poor performing employee, resolving conflicts, planning and organizing written exercises, and handling situations or critical incidents, to name a few.
Read the results that this candidate achieved using Oral Boards Made Easy™ material at his assessment center…
ORAL BOARDS MADE EASY™ Police Promotion Oral Board Coaching Services
Your Oral Boards Made Easy™ for Police Promotion coaching will be comprised of one-to-one CONFIDENTIAL coaching sessions as well as between-session Coaching Support extras.
The session topics available to you:
- Success Tips & Point Earners (setting your personal success plan)
- Selling Yourself (delivering an impactful opening statement)
- Closing Statements (leaving a powerful last impression)
- Special Video Bonus: 4 instructional videos included with this session, see details below
- Ethics Answers (integrity-oriented decision-making for all answers)
- Leadership Answers (influencing personnel, morale, and motivation)
- Delegation Answers (intelligent assignment of tasks and follow-up)
- Special Video Bonus: 3 instructional videos included with this session, see details below
- Community Policing Answers (articulating philosophy and practice)
- Planning & Organizing Answers (your successful outcome approach)
- Special Video Bonus: 2 instructional videos included with this session, see details below
- Discipline Answers (from philosophy to application)
- Performance Counseling Answers (improving deficient performance)
- Special Video Bonus: 2 instructional videos included with this session, see details below
- Conflict Answers (successfully managing complaints / disagreements)
- Situation/Incident Answers (handling routine and critical incidents / situations)
- Special Video Bonus: 2 instructional videos included for this session, see details below
- One-to-One Mock Oral Board (your readiness feedback session)
- Special Video Bonus: 3 practice oral board videos included for this session, see details below
Included Coaching Support Extras
- 1. Exclusivity! You will be my only coaching client for your process while your agreement remains active. That’s right, you can lock-out your internal-process competitors from Finest’s coaching services for the duration of your agreement.*
- 2. The Oral Boards Made Easy™ Police Promotion Coaching downloadable e-Guide with over 40 pages of support material.
- 3. NEW! Receive an audio recording of each session so that you can keep fresh between sessions. (Video-call sessions only)
- 4. NEW! Pre-agreement telephone consultation to establish your game plan.
- 5. NEW! “Brief Debrief” shortly after your oral board to help you prepare for your next promotion process.
- 6. “Time-Out” option to extend your coaching agreement for a limited time if your process is delayed.
- 7. Weekly Achievement Checkpoint to keep you on track while fighting against procrastination.
- 8. Access to the password-protected “Client-Only Area” of FINESTS.com where you will find additional “client only” videos to prepare you for your promotion, archived video newsletters containing promotion tips and videos, and over 190 resource links to assist you in staying current in contemporary police topics.
- 9. Between session phone or email access to me to get your questions answered while you are preparing.
Single Session Coaching:
A single, one-hour CONFIDENTIAL coaching session that you select from the topic list above as well as one month of Coaching Support extras. $350
You have three discounted coaching packages to choose from.
PACKAGE #1: Complete Oral Board Coaching:
SIX, one-hour CONFIDENTIAL coaching sessions covering all of the topics listed above as well as THREE months of Coaching Support extras. Save 43%** Just $200 per session (one time payment of $1200).
PACKAGE #2: Advanced Oral Board Coaching:
FOUR, one-hour CONFIDENTIAL coaching sessions that you select from the topic list above as well as TWO months of Coaching Support extras. Save 34%** Just $231.25 per session (one time payment of $925).
PACKAGE #3: Basic Oral Board Coaching:
TWO, one-hour CONFIDENTIAL coaching sessions that you select from the topic list above as well as ONE month of Coaching Support extras. Save 21%** Just $275 per session (one time payment of $550).
“If it’s important to you, you’ll find a way. If it’s not, you’ll find an excuse.” –Unknown
Here is your next step:
Coaching is by Reservation Only
Only one active coaching agreement will be held per promotion process, regardless of the size of your agency.
Request your free, no-obligation coaching reservation to lock out your competitors now!
If the above coaching packages do not best suit your promotion preparation needs, call PoliceCareer.com members also receive a special benefit, so please mention your membership when you call.and get a quote on the session content and agreement time frame that is best for you. A 3-session, 45-day package is $750 and a 5-session, 75-day package is $1075.
How we will work together.
The first step is the “pre-agreement telephone consultation”. This free, 10 – 15 minute consultation will allow you to get your questions answered regarding my services while allowing me to gather information about you and your promotion process.
Once you have determined the oral board coaching package that is right for you, the next steps are to determine the date / time for our first session as well as how you would like to meet.
Thanks to ongoing advances in technology, video calls have replaced your need to travel to me for coaching. That lets you better spend your time on your preparation or personal obligations rather than travel. I use a professional video conferencing service that will allow me to record our sessions and share the audio with you for you to reference between sessions. (Recordings are not available for in-person sessions.) If video sessions are not right for you, you can have your session held by telephone call, the choice is yours. A very limited number of in-person sessions are available and those are held at Finest’s Coaching and Training Center.
You will receive a coaching agreement to review and approve before we start working together; this will clarify our rules of engagement.
Once our agreement begins you will start receiving the “Coaching Support Extras” described above.
As with any coach, I will guide you to be your best, but you must execute. You will receive my 100% commitment toward your success and I expect you to bring that same 100% commitment.
$27,700 in additional annual income for you?
That is what you stand to gain as a police supervisor or manager according to recent data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. They reported that amount as the difference between the mean annual wages of Police & Sheriff’s Patrol Officers ($65,400) as compared to First Line Supervisors of Police and Detectives ($93,100).
And that’s just for one year; imagine multiplying that by 5 years ($138,500), 10 years ($277,000), or 15 years ($415,500)!
Can you afford not to invest in yourself through coaching?
Finest’s services have been delivered to clients from the following states:
Arizona – Arkansas – California – Connecticut – Delaware – Florida – Georgia – Illinois – Indiana – Kentucky – Massachusetts – Michigan – Missouri – Nebraska – New Hampshire – New Jersey – New Mexico – New York – North Carolina – Ohio – Oklahoma – Oregon – Pennsylvania – Rhode Island – South Carolina – Tennessee – Texas – Utah – Virginia – Washington – West Virginia – Wyoming – as well as the District of Columbia
*The police promotion oral board coaching agreement exclusion prevents two competitors from simultaneously receiving customized coaching services for the same process. This exclusion does not prevent competitors from attending Finest’s training classes or workshops, participating in any of Finest’s e-Learning programs, or participating in any e-Learning feedback sessions. Additionally, when the coaching agreement expires so does the exclusion regardless of when the promotion process occurs.
**Savings based on $350 single session fee.
Finest’s Professional Development, LLC reserves the right to adjust fees without notice.